Tuesday, May 15, 2012

An Ordinary Day. An Extraordinary God.

I stole the title.  I read it somewhere else, and loved it.  It speaks truth to my life. 

A beautiful day in Crown Point today.  The wind blew and the sun shined.  The temperature was perfect.  We planted potatoes.  The kids walked the trails.  The dogs chased squirrels.  Kids quarreled.  We ate breakfast.  We ate lunch.  Kenney came home and we opted for a simple dinner.  Nachos, fresh pineapple, and a last minute pinterest find of zucchini bites.  The adults in the family drank a glass of wine.  We sat at the table.  Tommy and Audrey were reminded to keep sitting.  We all took turns praying. (We actually fight about who gets to pray at the dinner table... ummm... something a bit wrong with that picture!)  Noah had to be reminded to stay focused.  Caleb had to be reminded to keep chewing.  Isabell had to be hand fed.  Tommy chatted on and on about the pet frog he wanted and his walk to Nana's house today. 

All the while Kenney and I talked about how excited we are to have friends coming to visit us.  We talked about what kind of dog we would like when it's time to get another dog.  We talked about trips to the beach, about vacations.  We chatted about our favorite places to eat.  We talked about school for the kids. 

I decided I needed some things from Home Depot and we cleared the table and at 7pm made a trip out with the family.

At the end of the day


the dishes are still in the sink


the laundry still waits to be put away


But tonight, Kenney and I sat and talked while the kids slept.  We enjoyed the evening.  We enjoyed the hustle and bustle of our gifts of children.  We enjoyed each other.  We both realized today, neither dishes or laundry were what mattered. 

In our ordinary day, God was glorified.  In our marriage, in our parenting, in our children - He was glorified.

Through all our mistakes, through the kids fighting, through every little detail of the day, God is still good.  He is always good.  He is always perfect.  He is always glorified.  There is nothing in my day that can not be used to bring Him glory. 

That is something to be excited about. 

These last months have been a challenge for us.  We have growing pains.  We are finding our groove.  Growing together.  Finding routine.   God is reminding us of our fallen state.  God is reminding us He is faithful.  Isabell's diagnosis of arthrogryposis has been a hit to us.  Letting go of expectations has been hard.  Satan seems to enjoy knocking at our door.  Kenney and I have had much learning and growing to do.  Each new change in our lives brings new characteristics to the surface. 

But tonight- we confess our sins.  We enjoy each other.  We enjoy our children.  We are thankful of the gifts God has given us. 



I am thankful that God knows what I need.  Even in my efforts to be realistic, and of sound mind, He knows what we need.  Isabell may never walk, may never be fully mobile.  And the sad truth is, had we known that ...  I can not say we would have made the choice that God obviously wanted us to make- because here she is, our daughter, by God's perfect plan. 

I rejoice in the fact that God is in control.  His plans for us are perfect, because God is good.

In our projects, busyness, medical diagnosis, events, and run around.  We have forgotten who God is.

He sent His son to die for our sins, because HE LOVED US.  (John 3:16)

He loved us so much, that even in our sin, in our busyness,in our forgetfulness, in our run around and medical diagnosis... in all of that... HE DIED FOR US.  (Romans 5:8)



I pray I remember today.  I remember the ordinary.  I remember the little things, the simple things.  I remember God is and can always be glorified regardless of the day, location, or circumstance.  I pray Kenney and I cling to that truth.  I pray we remember He loves us. 







1 comment: